Thursday, November 18, 2010

Homeschooling/Public Schooling


While I was in Illinois visiting family this weekend I was asked how homeschooling was going. I was asked if it was challenging this year.  In the grading department it has been.  I have a hard time grading papers but it is a must to accurately measure where they are at.  I don't enjoy it because I have to put many hours into evaluating them., which leads to migraines from bending my neck over for long hours at a time. I have pulled away from doing other activities so that I can focus on them and this calling for their last years at home.  I have always believed we were called to home school. I didn't originally plan to go through high school but I wasn't opposed to it either.  I don't believe it is for everyone.  We just believe very deeply that this was God's plan for our children.  We haven't felt released from it so we are continuing on.

Blake and Lauren both are taking elective classes at the high school.  Blake is in Chorale, Jazz Band, and Driver's Ed this year and Lauren is in Art and Drama.  It has been a good experience for both so far.  I asked them if they would rather be public schooled and they both said no.  They enjoy learning at home. It is quieter and much less "drama".

People home school in different ways. Just so you know, I do not teach them. I take on more of a tutor-role. I think some shy away from homeschooling because they feel like they have to teach each class like public schools do. That is not true, however,everyone who home schools does it differently. This is just how we do it. I did more teaching when they were little but as they became fluent readers they became independent learners. We use a thorough curriculum for each subject.  They should be well prepared for college (yes, colleges do accept home schoolers-some even fight over them.) I am not worried about this at all.
I have kept a transcript of their grades, every activity, book they have read, jobs they have had, awards etc.  I have patterned much of what I do after home schoolers I know that have kids that are now in college.

Anyways, hope this clears up any questions anyone might have. I understand that their are certain things that come to mind when you think of homeschooling. The first is always "lack of socialization". I hope by reading my blog that you will well understand how socialized my kids are. I am sure their are other things that come to mind as well. We have nothing to hide and welcome any questions.  Hopefully, this will ease anyone's mind that has doubts.

Above Picture: Blake tried out for Superior Select Choir and made it. He performed the concert at NMU after attending a weekend camp. He learned much and had a good time.

No comments: